Wednesday 1 June 2011

Day 1... the beginning


After the excitement of yesterday and the launch of my very first blog I woke up feeling slightly anxious about my day ahead.  I wasn’t sure what really to expect and how would I be able to fulfill my own challenge.  I do have a tendency to sometimes bite off far more than I can chew, however the one thing that always helps me out in the end is my determination to achieve what I have set out to do.

I wouldn’t describe myself, as being overly competitive, yet others I'm sure will argue that point. 

So as I brushed my teeth this morning I was resolved in my mind that what ever happens today I was not going to worry because an opportunity would present itself as long as I was open for seeing that opportunity. 

I dropped Dylan off at school and headed for the gym. I didn’t really want to go as I was still aching from running like a banshee on the treadmill yesterday.  However I couldn't t back out now, I was there.  I parked up and skimmed my emails as I walked down towards the gym.  As usual with the Edinburgh weather it was blowing a gale, my legs covered in goose bumps, enough to want me to go running back to the warmth of my bed.

This is the first day of summer apparently and that maybe the case but there was no warmth in the air, just a cold bitter wind. 

Out of the blue I hear

”Excuse me, Excuse me” I look up from my phone and the emails I need to deal with and there in front of me are 2 women, dressed in matching tracksuits, looking frozen to the bone.

“You look really nice and we need your help”

“Sorry, how can I help?”

“We’re terribly lost, in fact we’ve been walking round for quite a long time and all we want to do is go to Arthurs seat, and we saw you in your running gear so we thought you maybe going that way and you looked friendly, can you help us?”

The two ladies in front of me, shivered.  Dressed in Nike sportswear although one in blue the other in pink, their trainers matched their track-suits; they hovered shifting from foot to foot, they looked exhausted in their search for Arthurs seat.  It was only 8.45am.

I explained where they were and what they needed to do to get there.  Telling them to look out for Dynamic Earth and the Scotsman newspaper building as key landmarks for their arrival at their destination.  We swapped pleasantries about running and we bid farewell. 

I watched them as they bounded down the pleasance.  “Good Luck” I shouted into the wind, not knowing if they’d heard me. 

Both women had a spring in their step, a new vigor and appreciation for where they were, when all of a sudden they turned round exactly at the same time and in unison shouted.

“Thank you so much, you’ve really been kind to us”

“No problem” I said waving them off, hand in the air as they turned the corner onto Holyrood road.

That got me thinking about what an Act of Kindness actually is?

What I did this morning at 8.45am – would that really be classed as an Act of Kindness?

This question has burned all day long begging to be answered and I am still not sure if I believe this example is worthy enough?

So what is an Act of Kindness?  My initial take on it, would be quite simple and if I was looking at it objectively I would say it is a simple act that shows kindness, generosity and appreciation.  Deep down I don’t believe it has to be all bells and whistles.  Is it not sometimes the simplest of acts that can demonstrate true kindness?

So I Googled it and this is what came up

“An act of kindness is a spontaneous gesture of goodwill towards
someone or something.”

With that in mind, and of course having it confirmed by Google then I believe an Act of Kindness can be shown by what I did this morning, dealing with a simple request for directions and helping another on their way more confidently and with ease.  This could be considered as a gesture of goodwill.  Therefore if that is the case then as simple as it is I believe that I demonstrated this morning an act of kindness.

I was once told that one good turn deserves another and last night as I watched my lovely landlady and dear neighbour struggle up the stairs with the help of her daughter I knew something was wrong. 

When I walked in the flat that I rent now for the very first time, I knew it was home.  I’m not sure if you have ever felt that before?  But when you step foot in a place and you immediately feel you belong then there is no time to dilly dally you just have to make that commitment right there and then and that’s what happened with this flat. 

At the time Ross was living elsewhere and so this was going to be a new start for Dylan and I.  I wanted it to be cozy, homely and a place that felt safe.  It certainly had all of that after I lugged up 47 bags of belongings up 50 stairs and closed the front door to my new home.

When I shut the door on the first night, within minutes the doorbell rang and there she was, the extra safety net that I needed.  My landlady and my neighbour, she lived in the flat below.  She brought a bottle of wine, red, Italian, a bowl of popcorn for Dylan (still warm) and a full chicken with vegetables and potatoes wrapped in tin foil and a tea towel to keep the heat in.

“My dear Gillian, welcome” transferring the food and wine from her hands to mine. “You stay here as long as you like, I will look after you” smiling, she kissed me on both cheeks and gave me the most amazing hug.

I knew that the food was only a factor in what she was offering.  She was offering far more than just food.  She was offering me a gift, the gift of kindness, warmth and a gesture of goodwill from her to me.

And so as we stood together last night in a similar amazing hug, we cried for very different reasons.

In all of her sadness, she said “ you don’t need to worry, you, Ross or Dylan, I am putting my affairs in order and you are looked after my beautiful Gillian.  I am looking after those who are close to me and you are close to me.  You kind girl”

What amazes me most is that in all of her sadness, in knowing that there is no cure for her illness and her death is pending, she still showed me the gift of kindness and the same warmth and gesture of goodwill from her to me.

So yes I believe an act of kindness can be a simple gesture but it also can be so much more. 

Therefore for me An Act of Kindness requires spontaneity and is given as a gift with no expectations of receiving anything back.


So as I sign off at the end of day one, I wonder what tomorrow will bring, any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment