Thursday 2 June 2011

Day 2…it's somehow harder today


I have no ideas at all about what my Act of Kindness could be today, but the sun is shining and as I go off and do my daily commitments, school run, meet a friend for coffee, return back to the office to work and do some business development.  I feel stuck and its only day two.  I crack on with emails and phone calls and I brief a designer on my new website requirements.  I sit back, my brain is aching, maybe I’m trying too hard?

Maybe this is to do with the fact that at 12.30am this morning I woke up, head buzzing about what I’d set myself to do. I lay there pondering, searching and questioning.  I glanced over at the clock in the distance and realised it was 3am and I was still wide awake.  Perhaps I should have got up and put my time to good use, got started on the next chapter of my book, figure out how I am going to market myself and promote my Autumn coach training courses.  But instead I lay there persistent and adamant that even if I wasn’t sleeping my body should be getting some rest.

The postman arrives at 12.30pm and there it is, a letter that does not belong in this house or to any of its inhabitants.  A letter that looks of importance, with no relevance to me or any people who reside in the two flats below.

So I pull on my trainers and go out into the warm air to realise that the house number that this letter belongs too is not to be found.  So up and down, I walk the streets that surround my flat.

Looking in every driveway and for house numbers, I firstly walk up the right hand side of the street and return back on the left hand side.  Although a little frustrating I keep going but to no avail.

I do this 3 times to make sure that I have not missed anything and to check that my eyes or common sense are not deceiving me – Yep there is no 22.

I weigh up my options


1) I could leave it downstairs, in view, for the postman tomorrow in hope that he would pick it up and deliver it to its rightful owner?

2) I could play ignorant and bring it back with me to gather dust with all the junk mail waiting to be thrown out? 

3) Or I could ask someone for help?

I was outside, the weather warm, the first day in weeks, and as it caressed my skin gently, my enthusiasm was quickly dissolving and soon began to drift like the flowing cherry blossoms high up into the sky.

Decision time Gillian, make a choice.  So I decided to ask.  Across the road was a lady that I have seen from time to time walking her very old and slow Jack Russell.  She always passes the time of day but today she seemed focused on getting on with the task in hand.

“Excuse me” running across the road to her  “I am looking for number 22, the postman delivered this to me and its for number 22, you don’t happen to know where I can post this do you?”

A smile broke out across her face, “well that is interesting dear, this letter is addressed to me, how bizarre?” she said chuckling

“How bizarre indeed” I said once again surprised about how the universe can draw people together.

“I’ve been up and down here 3 times, and I couldn’t find your house,” I admitted

“Ahhhh, you’re not the first to say that dear, thank you so much, I’ve been waiting for this letter, its come from London you know?”

“Well I’m glad I found you, have a lovely day” I say and walk off with the same vigor and confidence as the lady joggers had yesterday.

“You too” she shouts as I head home

“Well, well, well” I say out loud and look up to the sky and smile and say “thank you” and at that very moment the sun beams wide and the warmth wraps its arms around me and carries me home.

As I walk up the 50 stairs that lead to my flat I realise that faith in the universe and trust in yourself is essential.   

If you don’t believe in what you are doing who else will?







2 comments:

  1. Thank you to my first group of followers and for your support.

    Let me know your thoughts and if you've been involved in any Acts of Kindness yourself.

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete