Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 22....A friend in need is a friend indeed!





Well, I’m just over 3 weeks in and although this task is hard at times I realise that I’ve had plenty of opportunities to deliver on my acts of kindness.


I am noticing the more kind I am to others, the kinder people are to me.  I am building stronger bonds with my friends and we are in touch with each other more than ever.  Even though we may not be able to see each other I can honestly say that over the last 21 days I now have a deeper relationship with those few ‘Gals’ that I call my friends.

And it’s the same with some of my clients.  A number of people around me are not very well at the moment.  A couple of my clients are struggling with breast cancer, one has recently had a stroke and some are dealing with the loss of their loved ones. 

This part of my job is really hard, as you build very strong relationships with others, you see them suffer and there is nothing they or you can do.  I appreciate this is part of life, but quite frankly I think it’s a pretty shitty part of it.  

So today when I met my client who has just had a lump removed from her breast, I am amazed at her strength, courage and resilience.  I have been sending her emails and told her how great she is because that’s what I genuinely believe.

The way she handled the news, to dealing with a very worrying removal of the cancer, to now only 8 weeks after being diagnosed she is back at work and in 2 weeks about to embark on radiotherapy, that she will have to have endure everyday for 1 month.

I have known this client for a number of years and I have worked with her in a number of guises.  I’ve trained her to be a coach and then again in leadership skills, and this year I have been working with her team and other teams within her organisation – and I thank her for that, because she has never once judged me about the liquidation of my previous company, she has never really enquired about the what’s and the why’s, instead she just welcomed me with open arms.

So as we chatted today, I asked her if there was anything I could do for her, a simple question with no idea if she’d suggest anything.  When I’ve ever asked this question before to others, they tend to usually skirt over it, as most people don’t really want to burden you or others, I’ve noticed they simply pretend they haven’t heard you.

But today my question was heard.  In response my client asked me if I’d be kind enough to go out for lunch with her, before she has one of her radiotherapy treatments as she want to take time before each treatment with people she calls her friends. 

“Kind enough” I smiled “I’d be honoured”










No comments:

Post a Comment