Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 4....Family Gatherings




Sorry for not writing yesterday, but I was away overnight and couldn’t get access to my PC.  So I’m turning back time and today is Saturday the 4th of June…

After the scorching weather on Friday, today was different. Cold and windswept, we head off to the train station; we’re going to Bathgate gala day! This was my first time at such an event, and both Dylan and I were looking forward to watching the procession and the shows.

So as we stand on a street corner, lined with the young and old of Bathgate, the Baltic weather forces us to huddle together and watch as the procession makes its way up the hill.

Every year, since god knows when, the gala day has been a way for the town and its people to march and clap in time to pipe and brass bands.  Children line the streets with their parents and wave as the flower girls go by on trucks, decorated and converted into ‘floats’. 

Today we watch as the local schools, nurseries and businesses alike walk behind the bands in celebration, clapping and cheering.  All waving and throwing sweets to the children who sit on the street kerb, all eager to recognise someone they know. 

As the floats go by carrying all the flower girls and Princess Marjory, we wave and cheer. The miniature princess’s wave back through gritted teeth, some of them look like they may cry due to the howling, bitter wind.

Ross had planned the day, so after the procession, we were to spend time with his family and then head over to a friend’s house for a BBQ.  But as we settled into the afternoon the plan, which had been so meticulously planned, started to unravel.  Firstly; his family didn’t want us to leave and go to another BBQ, they wanted us to spend the day with them.  Alongside that, Dylan had been introduced to three kids of about the same age and had started to get to know them. I was enjoying being with the company that surrounded me, they made me feel welcome and I was well looked after.

As the afternoon got into full swing, so did we, the wine was flowing, and everybody congregated in the kitchen as the BBQ got underway.  It was way too cold to stand outside and, like most good party’s, the kitchen became the hub and the heart of the home.  It felt good to be there.

It was nearly time for us to move on to the other party, but as I watched Dylan enjoying his time with his new three friends who will, I hope, become good long-term friends, I realised that to tear him away from his fun, just so we could meet up with our friends, would be a real shame.

The kids laughed and played with each other brilliantly, no falling out, no bickering, they just had fun.  Playing on the green in front of the house, safe in each other’s company. Ross and I settled and went with the flow.

So as the gala day was coming to a close, we choose to sit on the hill overlooking Bathgate at 11.15pm, Ross, Dylan and I waited for the gala day fireworks to end the yearly celebration. I couldn’t have been happier.  Sat on the grass with Dylan on one side and Ross on the other, all waiting in anticipation to see the sky in lights.

As we watch the fireworks, one after the other, light up the night sky, I’m happy in knowing that the day had changed its own course and had taken on a momentum and energy of its own.  The day that was supposed be structured and planned, ended being flexible and fun. 

So as I climbed into bed I reflected on the day.  Despite the fun and the new friendships where was my act of kindness?...

Then it hit me. My act of kindness was a subtle one; the whole day had been planned around Ross and I, and our desire to spend the day doing our thing.

Watching Dylan in his element, making new friends and building new family connections became the most important part of the day. 

Why?...because it was something far bigger than just some kids playing together. Significant foundations were being laid for future family gatherings and as I switch of the bedside lamp and snuggle in I smile to myself.

I didn’t stick to the plan but I accomplished my act of kindness, and I hope it’s one that will resonate for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment